I just wrapped two fun filled days cooking up family- friendly eats (that are healthy to boot) as part the Disney Annual California Food and Wine Festival. Thanks so much to the Celebrity Chefs Tour for having me - what a great crowd! Over 125 people each night gobbled my Zucchini Fritters with mango yogurt (I've found that adding the term "fritter" to anything perks up even the pickiest eater's ears) and my Superfresh Veggie Tacos with Cilantro Lime Creme (the secret to healthy creaminess? Nonfat Greek yogurt). I was so thrilled to see kids and adults alike scraping their plates clean. My message was simple: "Good food" means good for you, good for the family, good for the planet. Here are the recipes I cheffed up-my kids love them, my test groups of moms loved them, and I hope you will too. For more of my ecofriendly eating tips check out my list at www.earthgrains.com (full disclosure, they are a client of mine), and be sure to check out all the fantastic recipes and videos of the Celebrity Chefs Tour at www.celebritychefstour.com. And let me know what your family thinks of these recipes!
Big thanks to Disney Chef de Cuisine Jeremiah for all his help with the prep. Here we are in the prep tent just before show-time with my zucchini fritter with mango yogurt on top of a tomato and arugula salad (that's a microphone on my ear!).
Recipe #1: Zucchini Fritters with Mango Yogurt
3 ½ cups grated zucchini (about 3 medium zucchini)
3 scallions, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
2 organic large eggs, lightly beaten
¼ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
freshly cracked pepper
2 Tablespoons canola oil
¼ cup mango Chutney (I use Sharwood’s Major Grey Mango Chutney)
¼ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt ( I use OIKOS)
- First prepare the mango yogurt; in a small bowl, combine both ingredients until mixed and set aside.
- To make the fritters, squeeze the zucchini in a clean dishtowel to remove the excess water from the zucchini. Then pour zucchini from the dishtowel into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the scallions, eggs, flour, cheese, basil, thyme, salt and pepper. Mix until combined.
- In a large frying pan pour 1-2 tablespoons of canola oil-just enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Heat oil over medium high heat, and when hot add 2 tablespoons of the mixture for each fritter and cook no more than 4 fritters at a time. Cook until bottom is cooked and edges appear golden, about 3-4 minutes, and then flip and cook until cooked through, about 3 more minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve fritters warm topped with 1 teaspoon of the mango yogurt.
Yield: about 14 fritters
Recipe #2: Superfresh Veggie Tacos With Cilantro Lime Crème
1 Tablespoon canola oil
1/2 cup grated onion (about ½ large onion)
1 clove garlic, minced
½ cup crumbled extra firm tofu
½ cup black beans
½ cup fresh corn kernels (frozen is ok)
1 teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2/3 cup finely chopped or shredded spring lettuce
3 scallions, finely chopped
½ avocado, thinly sliced
¼ cup chopped cilantro
½ cup cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced
4- 6” all natural flour tortillas (preferably whole wheat)
Cilantro Lime Crème
1 jalapeño pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
¼ cup all natural canola mayonnaise
¼ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
½ cup cilantro leaves
1 medium garlic clove, chopped
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
To Make the Cilantro Lime Crème: 1. Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth and bright green. Taste and adjust seasonings. Chill until ready to use.
To Make the Tacos:
1. In a large sauté pan heat the oil over a medium heat. Add the oil, garlic and onion and sauté until onion is softened, about 6 minutes. Add the tofu, beans, corn, chili powder, paprika, cayenne, cumin and salt to the skillet and mix well. Cook for 4-5 more minutes until corn is cooked through. Remove from heat.
2. Microwave the tortillas, covered in a lightly damp cloth, for 20 seconds or until heated through. Spoon the ½ cup tofu mixture into heated soft tacos. Top each taco with a small amount of lettuce, scallions, avocado, cilantro, tomato, and a dab of Cilantro Lime Crème. Roll up and serve immediately.
Yield: 4 tacos