Winter Barley Risotto
- In a heavy soup pot or Dutch oven, warm the olive oil over low heat. Add onions, cover, and cook over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid, raise the heat slightly, and cook an additional 10 minutes, stirring, until onions are nicely browned.
- Meanwhile, place dried mushrooms in a small bowl. Bring 1 cup of water to boil. and pour over mushrooms. Set aside.
- When onions are browned, add tomato paste, rosemary, sage, and stir into onions for 1 minute. Add wine and cook another minute, scraping up any yummy browned bits on the bottom of the pot. Add celery, carrots, barley, the broth, and the reserved soaking mushrooms and all the liquid.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat, covered, until barley and vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes. (Note: You can stop here and chill until ready to use).
- To serve: melt butter in large heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Place mushrooms in a single layer over pan and don’t stir! Let them brown nicely that way (shaking pan every so often) for 2-3 minutes. Flip, and cook another 2 minutes.
- Ladle about 1.5 cups barley risotto into serving bowl and top with a handful of roasted mushrooms.
Serves: about 6