Want a delicious, warming burst of Mediterranean recipe flavors to chase away winter doldrums? Look no further than this super simple dish, made with items already on hand in your pantry, and whipped up in under 30 minutes. The star ingredient is quinoa, an ultra clean protein that is lean, green, incredibly versatile and super tasty. I am loving this right now!
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1/2 large fennel bulb, cored and diced
1 tsp fennel seeds
2 pinches saffron threads
1/4 cup Pernod (or dry white wine)
1 quart organic chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup quinoa, rinsed (I used rainbow, but any color works)
15 oz. can artichokes in water, drained and sliced into 1” pieces
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place the butter and olive oil in a dutch oven or a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions, fennel, fennel seeds and saffron threads and cook until softened and clear, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add Pernod or wine, and stir another 1-2 minutes until it reduces a bit.
- Add stock, quinoa and tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover partially with a lid, and cook until quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add artichokes and heat through one minute. Taste and adjust seasonings. Thin with another cup of broth if desired.
- To serve: enjoy as a hot soup, as a warming side dish, or as breakfast with an over easy egg.