I’m proud to announce that I'll be partnering with the amazing folks at Clean Eating Magazine to bring you my new column, A Greener You. And it's launching this month! In each issue I’ll be sharing my freshest ideas, latest food finds, and tips that I use myself - all to help you on your journey towards an even cleaner, greener, leaner lifestyle. Could your New Year's Resolution be to discover easy ways to make a more sustainable, greener lifestyle within reach in the 2017 and beyond? If so, I want to share my first article with you - 10 Easy Ways to Waste Less (in your very own kitchen!).
10 Easy Ways to Waste Less
- Plan your perishables. Eat up your most perishable fruits and veggies first to avoid creating those science experiments that end up in the trash.
- Shop and store foods using eco-friendly containers. Does your local grocery store allow you to bring your own containers? Some do!
- Learn to compost. Composting is the next Recycling. Some towns even offer curbside pick up so you can contribute to your local community garden’s health.
- Replant mint springs and green onions. These gems will grow back!
- Store foods at the right temperature to maximize nutritional value, flavor and freshness. Know which fruits and veggies to store in the fridge (and where), and which can be left on the counter.
- Clean and reuse your kitchen sponges and brushes. They can be cleaned in the dishwasher or microwave - no need to buy more.
- Invest in a good water filter. Don’t add to the landfill with bottled water, after all filtered fresh water is a (basically) free resource.
- Get the lowdown on those expiry dates. Get to know the lingo so you can be aware of when food actually spoils, and when it is still perfectly fine to eat.
- Repurpose your most common leftovers. Get creative. What can you repurpose now or freeze for later?
- Shop at a zero waste grocery store. There may not be one near you yet, but chances are, it’s coming. Keep your eyes peeled!
Help Me Help You Go Green
My goal in writing this new column is simple: I want to help you cut through the clutter and find those transformative ideas that bring you one step closer to your healthiest self. And I'd love to hear from you as I plan my upcoming column ideas. So, what do you want me to tackle? What are you curious about? Please let me know in the comments below.
Here’s to building a better world in 2017 together- one delicious bite at a time.